Plug In West Michigan Podcast - Episode 7 - Electric Motorcycles
Part of WKTV Journal Grand Rapids, MI Community Programming
Listen Here: Plug-In West Michigan Podcast
... or find it on your favorite podcast feed like iTunes or Spotify.
Episode 7 Show Notes
- Host: Karl Bloss
- Blog: www.muskegonevguy.com
- Instagram @muskegonevguy
- West Michigan EV community: www.facebook.com/groups/WestMichiganEV/
- Guest: Brad Kallio - firstname.lastname@example.org, www.zynoc.com
- Theme song composed by Tyler Burke
- The usual EV questions:
- How far can it go on a charge?
- Zero DS 13.0 kWh - 70-140 miles
- How long does it take to charge?
- Depends on the charger installed
- 9 hours on 110V standard outlet
- <2 hours with a J1772 Charge Tank
- Some motorcycles will have DC quick charging capability to allow charging in 20-30 minutes
- How much does it cost to charge?
- At $0.10 per kWh, a 13 kWh battery costs $1.30 to charge
- 90-120 miles for 11 kWh = 8-11 miles/kWh, 2-3 times as efficient as an EV car
- At $0.10 per kWh, that's
- Zero has been the Tesla of the electric motorcycle world. Models:
- S/SR - street bike
- DS/DSR - dual sport
- FX/FXS - dirt bikes
- SR/F - newest offering
- Review: https://www.engadget.com/2019/07/09/zero-srf-electric-motorcycle-review/
- Local dealer: Boondox Motorsports in Caledonia, mechanic Brett
- Harley-Davidson LiveWire
- Mainstream Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/08/business/harley-davidson-livewire.html
- Cycle World video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc2M8eMqAZY
- I inquired at Muskegon HotRod HD - won’t be coming for a few years
- When you go to the HD site and pull up Livewire dealers, most are on the Wisconsin side of the lake and you don’t find any in Michigan until you hit Detroit.
- Energica - https://www.energicamotorusa.com/
- The Walker DC Quick Charger (PlugShare link: https://www.plugshare.com/location/187044) at the Meijer gas station that I’ve talked about in a few shows has now changed from free to 30c per minute. That sounds like a lot, but consider that most folks will only need 10-20 minutes to charge. Also, the free charging model is not sustainable.
- National Drive Electric Week is coming up in September. This is a series of show and tell events for all electric vehicles organized by enthusiasts rather than dealers or manufacturers where you can check out, sit in, drive in, and talk to owners of electric vehicles. There will be local events in:
- Kentwood -
- Day: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Time: 4-8 PM
- Location: Leader Lights
- 2450 44th St SE
- Kentwood, MI 49512
- Day: Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Time: 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Location: Hastings Public Library
- 227 East State St.
- Hastings, MI 49058
- Saturday, September 21, 2019
- Time: 12 noon to 5:00 pm
- Location: Midtown Fresh Market parking lot
- 1693 South Westnedge Ave.
- Kalamazoo, MI 49008
- I am planning to attend all 3 and have my Zero DSR motorcycle there for people to check out and I believe there will be at least one other. One of the Tesla service mechanics also drives one and he should be at the Kentwood event for sure.
- Proficient Motorcycling - a wonderful book on being a better and safer rider. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/329406.Proficient_Motorcycling It's not a new book, so you can find it at your library or good used copies on www.ebay.com.
- There is a peer-to-peer charging network called EVMatch that lets you list your home charger for other EV owners to use. It was originally only in states like California and Colorado, but they have now expanded nationwide from what I can tell.
- You can sign up for free here (full disclosure: I benefit in charging credits from using my referral code): https://vrlps.co/hfyyTAf/cp
- RAM Mount X-Grip is a great system for holding smartphones and all kinds of gear. Mine goes from car (windshield suction cup) to bicycle (handlebar mount) to motorcycle (also handlebar mount).
- www.Crampbuster.com is a throttle assist that lets you roll on a motorcycle throttle with your palm.
- EV Home Charging Basics - https://www.muskegonevguy.com/2018/10/electric-vehicle-home-charging-basics.html
- Charging your EV battery to 80% - https://www.muskegonevguy.com/2019/01/electric-vehicle-home-charging-charging.html
- Powering your home from an EV during a power outage - https://www.muskegonevguy.com/2019/02/how-to-power-your-home-during-power.html
- Find public EV chargers - https://www.plugshare.com/
- Coming to Muskegon and need a charge? See my listing on EVMatch: https://www.evmatch.com/public/562
- West Michigan EV and Plug-In Vehicle Enthusiasts: www.facebook.com/groups/WestMichiganEV/
- Kalamazoo Electric Vehicle Association - https://www.facebook.com/KalamazooEVA/
- Tesla Grand Rapids - https://www.facebook.com/teslagrandrapids/
- Follow me on Instagram: @muskegonevguy
|My new toy: a 2016 Zero DSR|
|Zero DS at the 2018 National Drive Electric event in Grand Rapids|
|Guest Brad Kallio and yours truly at WKTV after our podcast recording|